Sunday, October 3, 2010

AllMoPs 7

All Manner of Plugs: Issue 7 (10.3.2010)
a weekly recommendations email

Written by J.S. Lewis

* * *

PLUG IN

We set another month in the past and keep on marching on. I've added more to The Film Tome Report, admit a sincere lack ofGamerain this week (really, "Reach" is all you need), elevate monkeys by giving them their own segment, and provide plenty of other recommendations to keep your mouse clicking until AllMoPs Ocho! Carry on.

* * *

MVOTW


As the YouTubers dirge, this is a look at MTV as it once was and never will be again... While this "music video" has aged worse than Bill Murray, the song itself is timeless. "Mr. Roboto" speaks more for today's listeners than it possibly could've back in 1983. Contemporary technology only sheds more light on the the reality of a once sci-fi notion. It will only prove more true as the years grow greater. Kilroy!

* * *

MONKEY DO*
*I feature monkeys on a regular basis anyway, I figured it was about time to go ahead and give primates their own section.

Wired.com released an article on Wednesday (complete with video) regarding monkeys' ability to recognize their own reflection in a mirror. As the opening line states, "Monkeys may posses cognitive abilities once thought unique to humans."

* * *

RANDOMONIA

This week I watched the entire first season of a web series made by faculty and staff here at Brigham Young University, "The Book of Jer3miah." My dear mother did as well, not because she had to (you see, I did for one of my classes), but because of the engaging story and riveting action. Right mum? Influenced by "The Blair Witch Project," "Lost," and "The Office," this LDS-themed thriller is a hybrid that is ultimately unique. You can see the entire first season online at the link provided above. As of now, the second season hasn't begun filming, but a Season 2 teaser is also available on the official site. Also, the transmedia campaign for "The Book of Jer3miah" is something to behold. This rabbit hole goes deeper than meets the eye. Explore the site and you'll see what I mean.

* * *

THE FILM TOME REPORT

THE TRAILER ROUND-UP

Have you heard of "Secretariat"? Well, it comes out Friday (Oct. 8th) and that's the only reason I'm mentioning it. The trailer left me rather underwhelmed. It is a Disney movie about a sport (horse-racing this time)... I'm betting I can already tell you the story. Yes, even with that tag-line "The Impossible True Story." These are some of the most cookie-cutter films around! Maybe I'm just cynical or heaven forbid, a little jaded, but I'm not looking forward to this one. Sigh. I've been very unfair to the "Secretariat," taking out my anger toward an entire sub-genre on a singular innocent attempt. I hope it brings something new to the table, I really do. Now, Let me say two nice thing: 1) The film looks very pretty. 2) It has invaluable John Malkovich.

Back in Issue 2 I plugged two alien films, "Skyline" and "Monsters." They've each received another trailer and both offer a glimpse at what our protags are up against. Personally, I'm liking the looks of "Monsters" more. It seems to be more serious while "Skyline" looks like a B movie with super duper effects. In the end, I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as too many alien and/or monster movies. I welcome both of them.

Here is something new: "Vision." Interesting to say the least. A portrait of the12th-century nun, Hildegard von Bingen... What's up with the eye of Sauron at the end of the trailer?

Another over-the-top martial arts epic? I'm game. In the same vein as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and every other wannabe that followed comes "The Warrior's Way." December 3rd. Somewhere.

If you haven't heard about "Waiting for 'Superman,'" you will. Directed by Davis Guggenheim, the chap who shared "An Inconvenient Truth" with us, this is the next doc to rock. This time America's education system is the subject at hand. Again, it is already out, but "Where?" is the perpetual inquiry. Y'know, I should make a documentary about how most theaters never show any documentaries! The only thing is, I'm afraid nobody will see it. We've only ourselves to blame. We rather rush out to see stuff like "Superman Returns" than "Waiting for 'Superman.'"

Toss of the Week: Like Mr. Eastwood, the Coen Brothers are on a roll, releasing a film every holiday season for the past few years. This week the spectacular trailer for their remake of "True Grit" emerged. I'm already declaring "film of the year" for this one. I will be able to confirm such a bold prediction on Christmas Day. The talented brothers team up with Jeff Bridges ("The Big Lebowski") and Josh Brolin ("No Country For Old Men") again, while welcoming Matt Damon to their team for the first time (he looks wholly original this time around - see trailer). The rookie is Hailee Steinfeld playing as Mattie Ross who hires a marshal (Bridges) to avenge the murder of her father. I'll have to catch up with the original John Wayne film before this one releases to provide myself with the ultimate experience!

* * *

UNPLUG


Oh my giddy aunt! If you have any comments, questions, requests, complaints or threats please let your voice be heard by allmops@gmail.com. If you wish to be removed from the AllMoPs send-list, let me know. If you wish to add someone, let me know. Start enjoying the fresh Fall and thanks for plugging in!


* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment